MC9090 Battery Tips and Tricks
MC9090 barcode scanners won’t run without a functioning battery. If your Motorola / Symbol MC9090 battery is not charging, powering on, or dies quickly, we’ve assembled a guide just for you.
In this article, you will find common tips, tricks and best practices when it comes to troubleshooting your Symbol or Motorola MC9090 batteries. Ready to get started?
Inserting the Main Battery
Before using your MC9090, slide the battery into the device until you hear two audible clicks.
When a battery is fully inserted into the device for the first time, the mobile computer boots and powers on automatically.
The back up battery should also be fully charged before using the device.
To accomplish this, place the unit in the cradle. A completely discharged back up battery will take up to 15 hours to fully charge.
The MC9090’s back up battery will automatically charge from the main battery after the first initial complete charge. The back up battery retains data in memory for at least 30 minutes when the main battery is removed (provided that the back up battery is fully charged).
How to Safely Remove the Main Battery from a Motorola / Symbol MC9090
- Prior to removing the battery, press the red Power button to set the mobile computer to suspend mode.
- Press the two side main battery releases and the battery will partially eject from the device. Pause 3 to 4 seconds while the device performs battery removal shut down.
- Now press the secondary battery release, on top of the battery, and slide the battery out of the mobile computer.
How to Check MC9090 Battery Status and Health
To check the main battery charge percentage in the mobile computer:
- Windows CE; tap Start > Setting > Control Panel > Power icon to display the battery status window
- Windows Mobile: tap Start > Settings > Systems tab > Power icon to display the power window
Quick note: Support for Windows CE and Windows Mobile ends in January 2020. It’s time to upgrade to new Android-ready devices.
If MC9090 Backup Battery is Low
Use the following accessories to charge backup MC9090 batteries:
- Single slot serial/USB cradle
- Four slot spare battery charger
- UBC adapter
How to Charge a Backup MC9090 Battery
- Ensure the accessory used to charge the spare battery is connected to the appropriate power source
- Insert the battery into the charging slot with charging contacts facing down and gently press down to ensure proper contact
- The battery will start to charge automatically and the amber charge LED on the accessory lights to show the charge status.
MC9090 Battery Management
MC9090 Battery Saving Tips
- Leave the mobile computer connected to an MC9090 cradle with AC power when not in use.
- Set the mobile computer to turn off after a short period of non-use.
- Set the display and keyboard backlight to turn off after a short period of non-use.
- Turn off all wireless activity when not in use.
- Power off the mobile computer when charging to charge the MC9090 faster.
MC9090 Battery Will Not Charge
If your Symbol or Motorola MC9090 will not charge, it could be because of a bad battery, a faulty power supply, worn cables, or even a damaged cradle. To troubleshoot, try charging a different MC9090 unit. For Symbol / Motorola MC9090 maintenance, you’ll have to work with a trustworthy third party like Carlton.
MC9090 is still not charging. It’s likely a problem with your accessories or cradle, not the MC9090. We have replacement MC9090 accessories in stock for less.
The other unit charges. If the second unit charges, then it’s likely a problem with the first MC9090 scanner. Hardware issues include faulty connector pins, worn keypad mylars, and a damaged motherboard. Software issues with the OS can cause battery charging issues for your MC9090.
In both cases, we recommend sending the MC9090 in for maintenance. Get a repair quote for the MC9090 below.
Get a MC9090 Repair Quote